Saturday, February 14, 2009

Fun With Food -- You can call me Nannerpus

There was just something catchy about that Denny's commercial--the one that first aired during the SuperBowl, and featured an animated, singing banana/octopus creature perched on a stack of pancakes. The message of the commercial--"Isn't it time for a serious breakfast?"--implies that anyone in their right mind would rather have a Denny's Grand Slam breakfast than a singing Nannerpus breakfast, but I just don't agree, and I've been itching to make my own Nannerpus ever since. I finally got around to it this morning, and I am pleased to report that Nannerpus was every bit as delicious as he was photogenic.

After creating my own Nannerpus, I did a little research and discovered that Nannerpus has attracted a small but avid cult following. He has his own website, complete with links to a couple of artists who have immortalized him, as well as a musician who completed the Nannerpus song. All very clever, but my hands-down favorite is the YouTube poster who went to the trouble of dressing an actual, real, live baby up as Nannerpus and creating a video. You rock, "gonnalaughatyou," even if your kid does grow up to require years of therapy!

3 comments:

  1. I can't believe no one's commented on your Nannerpus post!

    It's been a few weeks since I first saw the commercial, and I can't get that stupid jingle out of my head. It's a riot. A very special commercial that too few people appreciate.

    My Nannerpus post

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire you for creating your own Nannerpus. I was only introduced to him yesterday and I'm infatuated. I have been singing the Nannerpus song all day at work. Unfortunately no one has a clue what I'm going on about, and I think that my co-workers are planning to have me committed. It'll be worth it, as long as they serve pancakes in the psych ward.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Nannerpuss! =D
    I keep meaning to make one myself.
    I put the remix and extended versions of the song on my MP3 and made some classmates listen to them, lol.

    ReplyDelete